Re: [lammps-users] How about Interaction potential in a binary system?

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 09:06:08 -0400

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 7:01 AM, Xiaolin Xu <xiaolin.xu2@...92......> wrote:
Hi,

I want to investigate systems such as Al-Si. I have the eam potential file for Al, and tersoff for Si (Al-Al and Si-Si are thus available). Therefore, a hybrid pair-style can be used. However, I do not have the interaction potential between Al and Si.

​you are missing one very important step in your logic. if you have an Al-Si alloy, you *should* not use ​a hybrid pair style. both, EAM and Tersoff have force terms that depend not only on the individual pairs, but also on neighboring atoms. those will be missing with a hybrid pair style and thus you are running a high risk of producing a garbage simulation unless you have a separate Al area and an Si area and only a rather small contact area, where you can use a pair-wise additive potential (e.g. lj/cut) as an approximation for the inter-style interaction. for "machining" or "impact" simulations, where mostly the repulsive cross interactions matter, this is a reasonable approximation.

What options I have, and what solutions lammps presents to the users in such cases?

​if your case matches, the scenario described above, you can look up "generic" lj/cut force field parameters and move on. for pretty much any other scenario, you *need* to find a potential/force field set of parameters from the literature, that covers your *entire* system. pair style hybrid would result in too large a systematical error.

please keep in mind, that LAMMPS primarily provides the functional form. there are far too many parameter sets available to bundle them all with LAMMPS.

axel.

Thanks