Re: [lammps-users] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Problem with Ackland Analysis (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 21:54:56 -0400

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Olivier Politano
<olivier.politano@...1102...> wrote:
> In our case, the new implementation of Ackland in LAMMPS gives incorrect
> results as it identify fcc instead of bcc lattice. May be other groups also
> encounter such difficulties.
>
> I was wondering if it would not be possible to keep both implementations and
> add a flag to the compute ackland command so that the user can choose which
> version to use.

i have just added such an option and included it in a pending pull
request, since it as if possibly neither version is 100% correct, and
so it is better to have a choice where the compute is incorrect until
the situation is fully resolved.

with that in mind, i would very much appreciate it, if one (or
multiple?) of you could check it out.
i am including a minimal test input below, and i was expecting that
for something this simple, both variants would report the same result,
but they didn't.
hopefully, this helps to figure out where things go south.

thanks in advance,
      axel.

units           metal
atom_style      atomic
lattice         fcc 3.5

region          box block 0 21 0 21 0 84 units box
create_box      4 box

region          one block 0 21 0 21 0.1 21.1 units box
create_atoms    1 region one

lattice         bcc 3.5
region          two block 0 21 0 21 21.1 42.1 units box
create_atoms    2 region two

lattice         sc 3.5
region          three block 0 21 0 21 42.1 63.1 units box
create_atoms    3 region three

lattice         hcp 3.5
region          four block 0 21 0 21 63.1 84.1 units box
create_atoms    4 region four

pair_style      eam
pair_coeff      * * Ni_u3.eam

compute         1 all ackland/atom legacy no
dump            1 all custom 1 lattice.lammpstrj type c_1 x y z

run 0

uncompute       1
compute         1 all ackland/atom legacy yes

run 1