[lammps-users] Fix rigid and minimization

From: Mohammad Rasool Vazirisereshk <mvazirisereshk@...24...>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 10:33:58 -0700

Hi everyone,

I am trying to perform a molecular static simulation for a group of atoms residing on a substrate (both atom types are Copper). I am forced to keep the top group of the atoms as rigid (they need to have rigid body movement). I would like to use fix rigid however this fix is not invoked during the minimization. I cannot use fix setforce 0 0 0 instead of fix rigid because these atoms are coupled with spring to another atom and therefore the force applied to the rigid group cannot be ignored.

Is there any workaround to have fix rigid and minimize working together? I know this might be a long shot but has anyone written/modified the LAMMPS minimize to include fix rigid? Looking at the mailing archives, I saw "simulated annealing MD run" might work instead of minimization. Can someone explain to me what annealing MD is?

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Mohammad