Re: [lammps-users] fix NPT and fix move

From: liyi bai <liyibai2011@...24...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 15:06:22 +0900

Dear Axel,

On the one hand, I don't want the two plates move.Then I use fix move command.
As I use NPT,the box length will be changed along x y z direction.The point is I ONLY the box length change on z direction NOT x or y.So that I want to control pressure on z direction.

I replace"dilate all" as "dilate water".The water will still go through the plate and finally move to other pbc box.I am confused what happened here.

Thank you very much for your attention.

partial input :

group       plate1       type 4
group       water        type 1 2
group       plate2       type 3

variable    fx equal  fcm(plate2,x)
variable    fy equal  fcm(plate2 ,y)
variable    fz equal  fcm(plate2 ,z)

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# stage 4 :NPT ensemble
#---------------------------------------------------------------

fix      6   water   shake 0.0001 20 0 b 1 a 1
fix      7   water   npt temp $T $T 100.0  z 1.0 1.0 100.0 dilate water

fix      8   plate1  move linear 0.0 0.0 0.0 units box
fix      9   plate2   move linear 0.0 0.0 0.0 units box

thermo_style     custom  v_time v_fx v_fy v_fz press vol temp evdwl ecoul etail elong pe ke lx ly lz xlo xhi ylo yhi zlo zhi xy xz yz
thermo            5

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 10:49 PM, liyi bai <liyibai2011@...24...> wrote:
> Dear Axel,
>
> Thank you very much for your suggestion and kindly remind.
>
> I also tried to leave "fix move" away.But the plates will be change the
> position which I should avoid the situation .

then you should not use "dilate all" with fix npt.

> Actually, I want to control the distance between two plates as a constant.So
> the position most not be moved.That's why I want to use fix move to fix the
> two plates.In detail,  lateral size of one larger plate as same as box
> size,other plate is much smaller  the boxsize.
>
> I want to  keep the lateral size of  the box always as a constant I set up
> initially.For that, I adjust the system pbc only on Z direction during npt
> simulation by using below command line.However,the water will go through the
> plate and goes to other pbc box during NPT.Could you please point out some
> problems about the issue?

i don't understand what you are doing here. on one hand you say, you
don't what the plates to move, but on the other hand, you want to
control the pressure in the same direction. that contradicts each
other and thus makes no sense.

axel.