[lammps-users] Different potential energy calculation results

From: Xiao Jia <xiaoj@...1508...>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 03:33:52 -0500

Dear LAMMPS users,

I am referring the function single () defined in pair.cpp to calculate the pairwise force coefficient fpair and the potential energy.
eng=pair->single (i, j, itype, jtype, rsq, factor_coul, factor_lj, fpair);
The current potential I am using is EAM potential.

The weird observation I have is that my summation of the potential energy (eng value of each pair) from all the pairs does not match with the output from log file. The value I get is -21936114 and the value from log file is -63005273, the difference is close to 3 times.

The calculation of pressure based on fpair seems to be consistent with the value from log file, but the difference in potential energy is hard to understand.

I will appreciate it so much if anyone can give me any idea about this issue.