Re: [lammps-users] Random packing of granular spheres

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 11:29:05 -0500

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM, <skamath@...3420...> wrote:

Dear LAMMPS users,

I am working on a granular system and using the fix pour command to settle the particles under gravity.

fix             3  all  pour  4000  1  29494  vol  0.2  100  region  fill  diam  one  5e-6  dens  2500  2500

The dimensions of the simulation box:  x*y*z = (5e-5)*(5e-5)*(2.5e-3) = 6.25e-12

My issue is that the particle insertions were less than asked for, 1361 instead of 4000. From visualization, I can see that the particles are not so densely arranged initially. Manual calculations for an initial volume fraction of 0.2 for the specified dimensions would mean atleast 95000 particles could be inserted.

Is this dependent on the number of attempts or am I missing something here. Please guide me.

​there is not enough information here to provide meaningful advice. most likely there is some conceptual problem.

P.S : SI units used above.

Best regards,

Sandesh Kamath,

Universität zu Köln