Re: [lammps-users] Lammps version

From: m n <mnnfean@...16...>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 19:09:42 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Axel: Thank you for your reply. Best,

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 1:04:37 PM CST, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 1:52 PM, m n via lammps-users <lammps-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
Dear LAMMPS users,

I am trying to run an input script which has been written in 2013 but when I run the code, I receive the following error:

ERROR: Illegal lattice command (../lattice.cpp:55)
Last command: lattice none

I have actually installed a 2017 version of LAMMPS and I was wondering because of using a newer version of LAMMPS, I receive this error or no.
I'm pretty sure that the code is correct.

‚Äč...and *I* am pretty sure, that your input is *not* correct, or else LAMMPS would not throw the error message.
compare the command with the documentation *MATCHING* the version of LAMMPS *THAT YOU ARE USING*, and you'll find out.

LAMMPS is continually updated and improved and that may also mean, that the syntax of commands may change in a non-backward compatible way. in fact, this information is documented here: http://lammps.sandia.gov/bug.html
the fact that an input "was working" for an older version of LAMMPS is no proof in any way, that it is correct to be used with a newer version of LAMMPS.
you need to read the documentation and double check. always!

axel.

Many thanks for your help!