Re: [lammps-users] partial force in virial

From: Abolfazl Musavi <ab.musavi1990@...24...>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:24:29 +0330

Hi

Sorry for that. I mean the manual section for compute pressure command (http://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/compute_pressure.html) where it is written:

P=NkBT/V+sum_i_N'(r_i.f_i)
"where r_i and f_i are the position and force vector of atom i". It seems that fi is the "total force" on atom i.

while in the reference paper (Thompson, Plimpton, Mattson, J Chem Phys, 131, 154107 (2009)) it is told:
P=NkBT/V+<W>/3V                                             (1)
and
W(rN)=sum_n(sum_i_1_N(r_in.F'in))            (25)
"F'in is not the total force on an atom but rather the partial force ".

Is the lammps method of calculating pressure according to eq.25? If yes, why the forces are total in the manual and partial in the paper?
thanks for any help to solve my confusion.

Regards