Re: [lammps-users] LAMMPS and sparse dump files

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 07:01:36 -0500

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Michael Bareford <m.bareford@...5775...> wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are certain situations that could cause LAMMPS to produce
sparse dump files? I’m using the lammps-30Jul16 version with a custom potential model.

Occasionally, our LAMMPS simulations produce TB-sized dump files.
Closer investigation revealed that these were in fact apparent sizes: the actual file
sizes were in the 10 GB range, as expected.

What’s odd is that sometimes the simulations produce dump files that are non-sparse
(normal behaviour) and at other times these files are sparse. There seems to be a
non-deterministic element to this problem. This seems like a potential bug, however, I
couldn’t find a description of a known bug that matches the issue I’m seeing

​this is more likely a bug/problem with the file system hosting the files than with LAMMPS.
LAMMPS is using standard i/o functions from the stdio library part of the c library.

axel.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.