[lammps-users] LAMMPS and sparse dump files

From: Michael Bareford <m.bareford@...5775...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 11:06:19 +0000

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are certain situations that could cause LAMMPS to produce
sparse dump files? I’m using the lammps-30Jul16 version with a custom potential model.

Occasionally, our LAMMPS simulations produce TB-sized dump files.
Closer investigation revealed that these were in fact apparent sizes: the actual file
sizes were in the 10 GB range, as expected.

What’s odd is that sometimes the simulations produce dump files that are non-sparse
(normal behaviour) and at other times these files are sparse. There seems to be a
non-deterministic element to this problem. This seems like a potential bug, however, I
couldn’t find a description of a known bug that matches the issue I’m seeing
(http://lammps.sandia.gov/bug.html).

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.