Re: [lammps-users] Creating Surface roughness

From: Andrew Jewett <jewett@...1937...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 15:12:38 -0800

A "rough" surface could mean many different things.  You will have to clarify what kind of rough surface you want.

In nature, rough surfaces are created by a physical process(eg, deposition, aggregation, erosion...).   If you want to create a realistically rough surface, then you may need to learn more about this process and simulate it.  In that case, starting with a smooth spherical structure is probably good enough.

Generally speaking, when trying to create a system with a complicated geometry, most people do not rely on LAMMPS input script commands.  Instead, they create a "DATA" file.  The basic format of this file is explained here:
... and there are some tools to help you create these files here: