[lammps-users] Does LAMMPS use Bounding volume for rigid body collision detection in the broad phase?

From: KeepFIT <debianfans@...24...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 22:36:37 +0200

Dear Lammper users,

I was wondering, whether the bounding volume technique is used for finite size rigid bodies:

atom_style hybrid sphere molecular

For a pair of rigid bodies 1, 2, if they are far away from each other, it is not necessary to check the distance between spheres in each rigid body. Instead, using two spheres named A, B that encompass these 2 bodies, if A does not intersects B, we can say body 1 is definitely not colliding with body 2. If they do, then we can say they might insect, and detailed contacts between rigid body 1 and 2 need to be calculated.

Best,

David