Re: [lammps-users] Irrelevant Discussion when clicking on a Google Search result

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 07:05:14 -0400

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Andrew Jewett <jewett@...1937...> wrote:
Hi Axel!

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 8:26 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...> wrote:
> andrew,
> how recent is this?

I can't be sure, but I first noticed it sometime late last week
(perhaps 9/6, 9/7?)

​ok, so that would corroborate my suspicion, that this is due to sourceforge "pruning" the mailing list and thus when steve is processing the archive file for the sandia webpage, the links become renumbered, and google's web bots don't seem to notice fast enough.​

> i suspect this is a consequence of some changes in the mailing list support that sourceforge is implementing in anticipation of upcoming privacy regulations somewhere (probably europe).
> this has caused several issues: people have been unsubscribed without notice, the mailing list maintainers can no longer see who is subscribed, let alone edit the subscription status of individual users, e.g. to re-enable those users that had their mail list subscription disabled without notice.
> thus we have been pondering to move away from sourceforge. after all, the mailing list is pretty much the only service of note that is used, apart from the once per year upload of a stable release in spring.

Oof, not yet  Those seem to be the only links that appear to be
working.  It's the links on lammps.sandia.gov that are screwy.

​obviously, we won't take it down before there is a replacement, and one of the conditions for a replacement would be that it includes the archives.​

[...]

So please don't take down the sourceforge mailing list yet.  Deleting
the sourceforge mailing list would break the only links that search
engines can still find, and make me sad.

​i think your ego will be safe. ​

Andrew
Is stackexchange no longer cool?  discourse.org sounds great too.  No
opinion there yet.  I noticed that there are stackexchange sites for
"blender" and "arduino" (alongside "physics", "AskUbuntu" and
"Vegetarianism"...)  Should there be a "lammps" one?

​i don't think the (active) LAMMPS community is large enough to make a stackexchange pitch work.
for the concept of stackexchange, it would make much more sense, if there was one that would address more general molecular dynamics simulation questions, regardless of the MD code (how to i set up a system of X? how do i compute property Y? how do i realize a simulation of process Z) so that you widen the pool of potential participants. it would also help (almost) all MD codes (charmm has a rather well organized and properly moderated forum ecosystem) so that they don't have to deal as much with questions that are not really about the respective codes.

​FWIW, some of the people behind the development of discourse also work on stackexchange.

<sales pitch>in my opinion discourse combines benefits from the stackexchange format (up/down voting, ranking by popularity, grouping by relevance), regular forums (categorization), social media (tagging, timeline, mentions), and mailing lists (bidirectional email gateway). while a plain mailing list is working well for old-timers like me, the flow of communication in discourse is more in line with what younger generation are familiar with, and i would expect this encourage more participation in the discussions. the lammps-users mailing list suffers from e-mail being a more "isolating" way to discuss and thus too few people answering questions or contributing to ongoing discussions. i noticed, for example, that technical discussions about new features or bugs in LAMMPS are much more effective and comprehensive on the github page. some long-standing issues (e.g. known, but difficult to narrow down issues in AIREBO or lack of a modern configuration and build system like CMake), only gathered sufficient traction on github, which makes it easy for multiple people to pitch in. i would love to see a similar improvement to other parts of the communication about LAMMPS. so i'd say stackexchange is cool, discourse is cooler.</sales pitch>

axel.

> one idea that has been put forward (actually quite some time ago), is to also change the format from a plain mailing list to something more modern and flexible, e.g. we could set up a server running discourse ( https://www.discourse.org/ ; checkout the live demo at https://try.discourse.org/) in the lammps.org domain.
> if needed, i can give a sales pitch as to which of the features in discourse make it a preferable choice over a mailing list and how it would improve community participation and help people find their way through the many messages.
>
> i think it should also be possible to import the archive of the old mailing list posts (as far as we can still extract them from source forge. i haven't tried myself recently).
>
> axel.

​[...]​