Re: [lammps-users] Irrelevant Discussion when clicking on a Google Search result

From: Andrew Jewett <jewett@...1937...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:12:16 -0700

Hi Axel!

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 8:26 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...> wrote:
> andrew,
> how recent is this?

I can't be sure, but I first noticed it sometime late last week
(perhaps 9/6, 9/7?)

> i suspect this is a consequence of some changes in the mailing list support that sourceforge is implementing in anticipation of upcoming privacy regulations somewhere (probably europe).
> this has caused several issues: people have been unsubscribed without notice, the mailing list maintainers can no longer see who is subscribed, let alone edit the subscription status of individual users, e.g. to re-enable those users that had their mail list subscription disabled without notice.
> thus we have been pondering to move away from sourceforge. after all, the mailing list is pretty much the only service of note that is used, apart from the once per year upload of a stable release in spring.

Oof, not yet  Those seem to be the only links that appear to be
working.  It's the links on lammps.sandia.gov that are screwy.

For example, I occasionally derive egotistical satisfaction by
google-stalking my own program:  If I search for: molecule builders
lammps (https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=lammps+molecule+builders)
...the first link is me bragging about how great moltemplate (and
topotools) are ("Announcement: Molecule builders for LAMMPS").  But
when you click on the link, it takes people here instead:
http://lammps.sandia.gov/threads/msg31946.html

All my hopes and dreams for fame and world domination are dashed by
this, but it also might confuse other people who are looking for
lammps related howtos and stuffs not in the official docs.
Fortunately google links to the same thread on sourceforge work fine.
(https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=lammps+molecule+builders+sourceforge)

So please don't take down the sourceforge mailing list yet.  Deleting
the sourceforge mailing list would break the only links that search
engines can still find, and make me sad.

Andrew
Is stackexchange no longer cool?  discourse.org sounds great too.  No
opinion there yet.  I noticed that there are stackexchange sites for
"blender" and "arduino" (alongside "physics", "AskUbuntu" and
"Vegetarianism"...)  Should there be a "lammps" one?