Re: [lammps-users] Irrelevant Discussion when clicking on a Google Search result

From: Andrew Jewett <jewett@...1937...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 20:00:45 -0700

I been running into this problem too.  I can't remember the link and search text I used, but I can dig this up if it matters. It's not a google-specific issue.  Bing also returns the wrong links to discussions on lammps.sandia.gov as well.  For example searching for "lammps rerun" with Bing returns a link to this:

http://lammps.sandia.gov/threads/msg44159.html

It seems like the URL to these messages hosted on lammps.sandia.gove have been altered.  Its not a problem at sorceforge.net. the URLs of messages hosted there haven't changed.  But google and bing don't seem prioritize links from sourceforge.net (guessing it's probably more of an issue for popular older links).

  Glad someone posted this issue.  Even I still frequently google solutions to lammps problems, and these old mailing links are really useful.

It would be great to repair those links.  But if that's not possible, could we take down the version hosted at lammps.sandia.gov?  It's actually sort of a disservice to have these bad links cluttering up the search engine results.

Thanks for posting this

Andrew