Re: [lammps-users] Problem with log command : Binary log file instead of ASCII

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:55:03 -0400

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Emir Koçer <emirkocer92@...24...> wrote:
Hello dear,
I installed and built the latest version of LAMMPS (11 Aug 2017) and generated the executable lmp_gpu. When I ran of my older scripts with this executable to check, I realized that I cannot open the output log file with Text Editor since it is written in binary format. What can be the reason for this change ? (my older executable was lmp_ubuntu_parallel). Do I miss something when building the new version ?

​there has been no change in the log file format. log file output is more-or-less the same as what​ it used to be and what is printed to the screen (depending on the value of the echo flag).

the only ways i know to turn this into binary is file system corruption. that can be due to bad RAM, a bug in the file system driver, a defective hard drive, a broken disk controller or writing to the same file from multiple processes when the log file is hosted on a networked file system.

​axel.​

Thank you