Re: [lammps-users] Nanoindentation

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 09:40:11 -0400

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Jit Sarkar <jitsarkar1993@...33....24...> wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to simulating the nanoindentation of a graphene sheet. The entire simulation is occuring properly. The only problem I am facing is that, during the unloading process even when I reached the initial position of zero from where I have started indentation, the stress is showing a large negative value instead of zero, as some atoms remain stucked with the indenter up to that position.

Please can anybody address the probable reason of this problem?

​LAMMPS is modeling what you tell it to do. the LAMMPS software is extremely dumb (and deliberately so), it will execute the input exactly as it is, regardless of whether that makes sense or not. so if that does not behave the way you expect, is not a LAMMPS issue, but a user issue. in other words, this either means, your expectations are wrong, or your input is not describing the model correctly. nobody but you is in the position to address this.

axel.​

Thanks
Best Regards,
JIT
Jit Sarkar (B.Tech)
Junior Project Assistant & Research Scholar (MS)
Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur-721302, India
Phone- +919476414445