[lammps-users] Compiling with Kokkos for KNL processors with Intel Compilers

From: Dundar Yilmaz <duy42@...122...>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:39:35 -0400

Hi,
I am trying to compile lammps with Kokkos package for KNL architecture.
My compiler is intel/16.0.3 with intel mpi.
I tried this:

make yes-kokkos
make yes-user-reaxc
make kokkos_phi

I am getting this error:

cc1plus: error: bad value (knl) for -march=switch
cc1plus: error: bad value (knl) for -mtune=switch

I also tried with  gcc compiler. In this case it compiled successfully but this case performance was poor.
As an example:

mpirun -np 2 ./lmp_kokkos_phi -k on t 2 -sf kk -in in.batio3

It runs but if i increase the number of threads

mpirun -np 2 ./lmp_kokkos_phi -k on t 4 -sf kk -in in.batio3

It starts running but not doing integration part:

 Time step     : 0.25
WARNING: Fixes cannot send data in Kokkos communication, switching to classic communication (../comm_kokkos.cpp:382)

with this warning.

I have this cpu 1.40GHz Xeon Phi 7250 (Knights Landing)

Looks like it supposed to have 68 cores. Simulating system contains only 5k atoms.

Regards.

Dundar Yilmaz, Ph. D.
Post Doctoral Researcher
Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
138 Research East Building
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802