Re: [lammps-users] Displacement Perturbations in lammps

From: Sonu Kumar <sonubwbs@...8...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 17:19:30 +0000

Sorry for not providing exact description earlier.

I am trying to give an extra small perturbation in an already perturbed system that relates to calculation of lyapunov exponent.

Generally, the perturbations are given at t=0 in dynamical system but my idea revolved around adding an extra perturbation at each timestep to see how the system evolves. Now the calculation of lyapunov exponent can be done using an ideal trajectory and the perturbed trajectory. I already have the following :

  1. Ideal trajectory simulation (No perturbations in displacement and velocity)
  2. Perturbed Trajectory (Perturbation in displacement and velocity at t=0)

I need the last :

      3. Perturbed uniformly (Perturbation in displacement and velocity at every timestep with initial perturbation at t=0 being the same as 2)

I performed 1 normally.

I performed 2 as follows :

variable xpertub atom (random(-0.00000001, 0.00000001, 54851)

... (similary other variables)

displace_atoms  active move v_xpertub v_ypertub 0 #active is the group on which I apply perturbations

velocity active set v_vpertub v_ypertub 0

and I proceed normally as done in 1

I couldn't perform 3 though. I though of applying pertubations in the form of fix addforce using variable style that generates random force which will be reflected as perturbations in velocity and displacement. However, the velocity and displacement perturbation shall be correlated due to addforce which I don't want.

I also thought of applying fix langevin but it will be basically be same thing as addforce with variable style. (I may be wrong here though).