[lammps-users] Is it possible to realize particles with two, four or six "interaction sites" or "patches"?

From: Wusheng Zhang <minky.k.jiang@...24...>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 17:20:41 -0400

Dear LAMMPS users,

I intend to create particles with several "interaction sites" or patches and observe the self-assembly. More precisely, for example, to two "interaction sites", I hope that any particle in my system can just have two "interaction sites" at theirĀ poles. Any two particles can only attract each other at their poles. Hopefully, the randomly distributed particles will finally align to a long chain while they connect with each other at the poles. The attractive force of the pole is short-ranged, and cannot overlap.

If I consider that the two interaction sites are along the x axis, then in the case of "four interaction sites", the two more interaction sites will be along the y axis, and in the case of "six interaction sites", the two more interaction sites will be along the z axis. And the interaction in any "interaction site" is the same as the description in the first paragraph.

So is there any way to realize this kind of polar orĀ quadrupolar or hexapolar particles in LAMMPS?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
zjgbz