[lammps-users] Getting the DPD thermostat right

From: Peter Vanya <pv278@...690...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 17:16:49 +0100

Dear all,

I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to make DPD with the thermostat work correctly, yet my results are clearly wrong. Can you please help?

Reading the manual, I understand that there are in general two options for thermostatting, starting from temperature T, the cutoff, interaction parameter a, friction gamma, and the seed:

1.
pair_style dpd T cutoff seed
pair_coeff * * a gamma
fix 1 all nve
fix 2 all langevin T T gamma seed

2.
pair_style hybrid/overlay dpd T cutoff seed dpd/tstat T T cutoff seed
pair_coeff * * dpd a gamma
pair_coeff * * dpd/tstat gamma
fix 1 all nve

As far as I understand, the first option makes the particles interact with an implicit solvent and not each other and so is not a proper DPD. Hence, only the second option remains.

Trying the second option on a pure DPD liquid, the temperature goes up to 3.5 and does not settle (it should settle at 1.0), and the RDF is totally incorrect close to r = 0.

Can I please ask what exactly wrong with my input, and how to get it right? I tried to follow the manual as closely as it gets. Attached I am sending the data and input file together with the RDF.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
--
Peter Vanya

PhD candidate | Dept. of Materials Science and Metallurgy | University of Cambridge
+44 74 037 505 20 | pv278@...690... | mml.msm.cam.ac.uk