Re: [lammps-users] Visual Studio for Mac

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 10:26:26 -0400

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Matthew Wander <mcfwander@...1125.....> wrote:
Has any one tried to use visual studio for mac for debugging lammps?

​not me.​
If so would you be willing to get me started (or at least pointed in the right direction)? I need to massively reduce my debugging time and difficulty.

​i cannot really help you with your specific request, but here are a few thoughts on efficient debugging​ from looking back the last 20+ years:

​in my personal experience, it is not the tool that makes for effective debugging, but practice, experience, and the ability to read and understand code.
graphical debugging front ends seem to lower the barrier to using a debugger (and i tried and used quite a few), but once you get over that barrier they also seem to slow people down. especially for a large and complex code as LAMMPS with complex data structures and class hierarchies, i find that GUIs are rarely able to cope.
instead, i can usually track down issues rather quickly with a combination of, valgrind's memcheck tool, text mode gdb and a few strategically placed printf()s.
text mode gdb has the advantage, that it can also be used as a poor man's parallel debugger, through launching it locally in separate xterm windows via mpirun.

engaging tech sites,!
lammps-users mailing list

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey@...12...24...