Re: [lammps-users] Neighbor list for calculating the local normals for Kolmogorov-Crespi potential

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 06:26:27 -0400

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 3:16 AM, ouyang <w.g.ouyang@...24...> wrote:
Hi all,
Recently I want to add the correct local normals to the Kolmogorov-Crespi (KC) potential based on the present version of KC potential (pair_kolmogorov_crespi_z.cpp) in USER-MISC package in LAMMPS.
The present version of KC potential in LAMMPS assumes that all normals are along the z-axis, which leads this potential only valid for flat surfaces (e.g., not valid for carbon nanotubes). So I want to add the correct local normals to this KC potential.
When implementing the code, I met a problem. Assuming there are two layers of graphene with the atoms in the bottom layer setting to type 1 and the atoms in the top layer setting to type 2. This present KC potential is invoked in the input file like follows:
pair_style     hybrid/overlay kolmogorov/crespi/z 20.0
pair_coeff     * * none
pair_coeff     1 2 kolmogorov/crespi/z  CC.KC   C C
As a result, only the neighbor list between types 1 and 2 is built and there is no neighbor list built for the atoms within one layer (i.e., types 1 1 and types 2 2). Therefore, to calculate the local normals, I need to build a neighbor list for the atoms within one layer. I tried to build this neighbor list by introducing another cutoff but I failed.
Does anyone has an idea for how to build this neighbor list? Thank you in advance!

​please replace:

​pair_coeff     1 2 kolmogorov/crespi/z  CC.KC   C C

with:

pair_coeff     1*2 1*2 kolmogorov/crespi/z  CC.KC   C C

and the neighbor list handed to the kolmogorov/crespi/z calculation will contain all pairs you are asking for.
for details of the syntax, please see the documentation of the pair_coeff command.

axel.

Best,
Ouyang