Re: [lammps-users] Transition from EEM to QEq when implementing ReaxFF in LAMMPS

From: Ray Shan <rshan@...1795...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 14:40:50 +0000

Hi Georg,

Yes, strictly speaking fix qeq/reax implements the EEM method described by van Duin et. Al.  Yes, it is the same as Adri van Duin’s standalone Reax code.

Tapering function approximates the charge-charge interaction near the cutoff to avoid discontinuities.  It is parameterized to approximate the results from the Ewald Sum.  Any changes to the Coulombic interactions will somehow affect the equilibrium charges since charge equilibration, albeit QEQ or EEM, equalizes the derivatives of charge-depenedent terms wrt charge for all the atoms.  Changing the energy expression affects the derivatives hence the equilibrium charges.

Yes, LAMMPS’ implementation of ReaxFF is exactly the same as van Duin’s standalone reax code.

Ray