Re: [lammps-users] How to calculate: J-integral, strain energy release rate, and crack size?

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 11:52:00 -0400

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 12:13 AM, Mohammad Reza Zamani Kouhpanji
<mrzamani@...5933...> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>

> I am a beginner using the LAMMPS for modeling crack propagation in 2D
> materials. In my simulation, I would like to calculate the J-integral, the
> crack size, and the strain energy release rate at each time step. I
> developed an input file which is mainly similar to the crack example of the
> LAMMPS. I will be so thankful if someone help me with the following
> questions:
>

> 1- How can I calculate the j-integral at each time step using the LAMMPS?
>
> 2- How can I calculate the strain energy release rate at each step using the
> LAMMPS?
>
> Note, as you may know, the strain energy release rate is the amount of
> energy dissipated during fracture per unit of newly created fracture surface
> area.
>
> 3- What is the best technique to accurately find the crack size? Does the
> LAMMPS calculate it (if yes, please let me know the command)? or Do I need
> to visualize the simulation results in a visualization software and then
> find the crack size?
>

> I looked in the LAMMPS' manual and some web searches. I saw some partial
> answers for my questions which are not clear for me at all. Unfortunately,
> because I am a new user, I cannot implement them as well. I really
> appreciate it if someone, please, writes and explains the command lines that
> I need to add into my input file for calculating those three parameters.

as a new user, you should not start with your research problem, but
need to learn how to perform basic simulations with LAMMPS first.
nobody is likely to do what you are asking for, as that is essentially
doing *your* work for *and* giving you a customized personal tutorial.
if you are unsure about how to do your research, please discuss with
your adviser, as that is the job of your adviser to advise you on
doing your research.

if you have specific questions to specific commands or how they are
implemented and so on, people are happy to help.
the fact that you are new to LAMMPS is no reason why you should be
entitled to get your work done by somebody else. you need to learn the
tools of the trade just like everybody else has. this doesn't happen
over night and this only works in steps.

axel.