Re: [lammps-users] Metal based nanofluid thermal conductivity through MD

From: Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey@...24...>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 09:34:48 -0400

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Zeeshan Ahmed <zeeshan.ahmed@...5589...> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Many researchers till date have done the MD simulation on metal based
> nanofluid to determine its transport properties. However through MD,
> electronic contribution of metal to the enhanced thermal conductivity is
> nullified as MD can only capture the lattice contribution towards the
> enhancement. But in metals main carriers are electrons not phonons. So while
> calculating the thermal conductivity, phonon contribution is less than
> electron. So according to me while simulating the real system,we should
> consider the electronic contribution as in real life the picture is
> different.
>
> 1) Are the results published in very good journals with metal nanofluid on
> enhanced thermal conductivity reliable?

as much (or as little) as any published research. reliability of
research is not evaluated based on surveys or opinion, but by
confirming or refuting the claims of a publication by careful and
thorough research.

> 2) Can we just simply  ignore the electronic effect and just see the phonon
> contribution?

it depends.

> 3) How accurate our system properties are when we ignored electronic
> contribution in calculating thermal properties of metal based nanofluid?

only a careful comparison of a well crafted simulation with a
corresponding careful and accurate experiment for the system in
question can tell.

axel.