Re: [lammps-users] How can I update LAMMPS via homebrew and git?

From: Wusheng Zhang <minky.k.jiang@...24...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:12:54 -0400

Hi Axel,

Thank you very much. Treating LAMMPS as a git project is a good way to manage my changing.

Best regards,
zjgbz

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Wusheng Zhang <minky.k.jiang@...24...> wrote:
> Dear LAMMPS users,
>
> I installed LAMMPS via homebrew on MacOS system on Aug 2016, and now I
> intend to update it for using functions like pair_style python. I know this
> seems like not a good question here, but I tried to search update lammps
> homebrew on google but got nothing useful. So do you have any suggestions on
> updating latest stable version of LAMMPS?

please contact the homebrew-science folks. they have a project on github.
you will have to learn from them how to customize your installation process.
i suspect, it may be just as well to do a manual compilation.

> Besides, I install LAMMPS via homebrew because I want to have a stable and
> updated LAMMPS. I also "git clone" LAMMPS from github - named it as "LAMMPS
> for test", because I intend to modify some source files like MAX_BODY. I
> know I can save my modified source files separately, and push them back
> after git clone the newest LAMMPS. But is there any easy way to update my
> "LAMMPS for test"?

you are contradicting yourself here. you cannot have a "stable"
version of LAMMPS and then do development and update to newer
"unstable" patches.

i would suggest that you have two versions of LAMMPS installed. the
"stable" homebrew compiled executable, and a custom that you compile
manually in your cloned git repository.
that one you can always update to the latest state of the development
master branch (or unstable patch release branch or ...). i also
strongly advise to do any development in your own personal branch (or
branches), but that depends on how deeply you want to dig into source
code management and using git to keep track of your changes.

axel.