Re: [lammps-users] Reading Energy in Custom Pair Function

From: S M <smatrix_2012@...8...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 18:16:56 +0000

Ok, here is the full scenario:

I have a group of atoms at low temperature that interact with each other only via a LJ potential. At every timestep, I want to read the potential energy (from the LJ interaction) of every atom. Then, I want to identify the atom with the maximum potential energy, and weaken the forces acting on it, so that it is able to rapidly escape from the vicinity of the rest of the atoms.

- When writing my previous email, I was thinking of applying a repulsive pair potential to the atom having the maximum potential energy, that would effectively weaken the original LJ interaction. That is why I thought about writing a custom pair potential that applies only to that specific atom in the group.

- Now, I am thinking that the same can be achieved by applying an additional force on that same atom (and subsequent reaction forces on the other atoms), similar to the 'fix addforce' function. In this case, I would have to write a custom fix.

In either of the above, I have to identify the atom with the maximum potential energy at every timestep.

Can anybody provide some advice about how to proceed?

Thanks,