LAMMPS WWW Site
Contributing to LAMMPS
In the spirit of an open-source code, these are various ways you can
contribute to making LAMMPS better. You can send email on any
of these items to the developers.
- Point prospective users to the LAMMPS WWW Site. Mention it in
talks or link to it from your WWW site.
- If you find an error or omission in the LAMMPS documentation or
on the LAMMPS WWW Site, or have a suggestion for something to
clarify or include, send an email to the developers.
- If you find a bug, this section of the
LAMMPS documentation describes how to report it.
- If you publish a paper using LAMMPS results with cool pictures or
movies, you can send them to add to the Pictures or
Movies pages of the LAMMPS WWW Site, with links
and attributions back to you.
- Contribute your effort to the user content pages on the LAMMPS WWW
site, namely a glossary definition, an input
script or results for a simulation you run, or a howto
explanation of something you figured out how to do with
- LAMMPS is designed to be easy to extend with new code for features
like potentials, boundary conditions, diagnostic computations, etc.
This section of the LAMMPS documentation
gives details. If you add a feature of general interest, it can be
added to the main LAMMPS distribution. See this
section of the documentation for info
on how to submit your new file(s) to the LAMMPS developers. The
preferred way to do this is via GitHub; see this
tutorial for instructions on how to submit
new features or fixes that way.
- The tools sub-directory of the LAMMPS distribution has various
stand-alone codes for pre- and post-processing of LAMMPS data. More
details are given in this section of the
LAMMPS documentation. If you write a new tool that users will find
useful, it can be added to the LAMMPS distribution.
- Create a new Makefile.machine that can be added to the src/MAKE
- The Benchmark page of the LAMMPS WWW Site lists
LAMMPS performance on various platforms. The files needed to run the
benchmarks are part of the LAMMPS distribution. If your machine is
sufficiently different from those listed, your timing data can be
added to the page.
- Cash. Small denominations, unmarked bills preferred. Leave in paper
sack on author's desk. VISA also accepted. Chocolate chip cookies